Sunday 27 March 2011

The Keg: Iceberg Wedge

"Iceberg Wedge - Crisp lettuce wedge topped with tomatoes, bacon bits and your choice of ranch or Bleu cheese dressing."


I've always heard about wedge salads before - the newest "trendy" salad on the block. I have even heard about it on one of the episodes of Modern Family (Yes, I watch it. It's hilarious!). So when I saw this on the menu, I was quite interested in trying it. I didn't order it, however my mum ordered it and i just nabbed bites from her. I've discussed my particular experience during this visit in a previous post, however my review of this salad doesn't shine as brightly as the Sirloin & Dungeness Crab Entree.

I think the concept of the salad is interesting. Yes, it makes presentation pleasant. However, I personally think this style of salad is impractical. As much as I enjoy food and don't mind working for my foods (such as cracking the shells of crab legs or even preparing the food), I think it is absurd the amount of work that I had to put into eating this salad (I can't get my head around the idea of working hard for a salad). The general ingredients of the salad were great. The lettuce and tomatoes were fresh. The Bleu cheese dressing was unique but not overpowering. However, the process of eating this salad is just plain silly. The fact that you have to cut the lettuce head and distribute the dressing yourself is just, in my opinion, a pain. I was more concentrated on trying to eat the wedge without making a huge mess opposed to enjoying my meal. Perhaps due to my inexperience in eating "wedge salads" I found that the ratio of dressing was way to small to the ratio of "wedge". At the end, I found myself just eating plain washed iceberg lettuce - which is just boring.

In short, I feel that this wedge salad is a commercial gimmick. It allows for less labour on the kitchen side (your literally just chopping up a lettuce head into quarters and dripping salad dressing on top with all the other condiments) whilst management is able to boost the price of a salad up to $7 when the actual cost of the salad would be maximum $3. At the end, your essentially making the salad yourself but paying $7 for the ingredients to be placed in front of you in a pretty way.

{ The Verdict }
Experience: 4/5
Service: 4.5/5
Salad: 2/5
Value: 1.5/5
Overall: C-

Location:  162 York Blvd., Richmond Hill {Click here to find your nearest location}
Cost: $$$

1 comment:

  1. Cool blog! In the case of a wedge salad, I love them because the lettuce remains so much crispier throughout. Even a few minutes after being ripped apart, the leaves start to get limp.

    ReplyDelete